home office pavilion in historic
garden of a national monument
This home office pavilion inserted into the bottom terrace of the historic garden of a 1930's house now a National Monument) on the Westcliff ridge. The pavilion is conceptualised as a landscape; as part of the language of the garden. Garden and pavilion interchange, reflecting and framing each other. The pavilion is made of two rectilinear forms that nestle against, but do not touch, two powerful ramped stone retaining walls. These walls became the edges of the building – thus starts the blurring of the boundaries between inside and out; between garden and building. The new building, is carefully sited and the height specifically designed such that, even from the lowest terrace, the full view of the existing historic house and the garden terraces is maintained. The fifth facades, the roofs, are shallow ponds that reflect the trees and sky and are visible from upper terraces. From the gardens at the lowest terrace, the glass facades of the building reflect the planting at night, and slide away during the day to allow an un-hindered view through the pavilion to the old stone retaining walls beyond. From inside, the glass allows the garden to be the boundary of the space.